Porto Santo Line – Ferry between Madeira and Porto Santo
Porto Santo Line, the ferry Lobo Marinho.
In 1996 the Porto Santo Line introduced the first ferry between Funchal, Madeira and Porto Santo.
With the arrival in 2003 of the new boat, the "Lobo Marinho", the crossing became more poupular.
With its length of no less that 112 metres and a capacity of 1150 passengers and 145 cars, the Lobo Marinho looks more like a cruise ship.
The ferry has become an attraction for those who spend their holidays on Madeira and many tourists use it to make a day tour to Porto Santo.
Several bars, restaurants, shops, a cinema, a multimedia room, a playground for children and a sun deck ensure you won't get bored during the 2,5 hrs on board.
The price for the trip depends on the season and varies around 60 Euro.
Those travelling first class, at an extra charge of only 10 Euro, can enjoy a seperate lounge bar and sun deck.
Why you should consider the ferry to Porto Santo?
- To make a nice day tour towards the sand beaches of Porto Santo. One can leave in the morning from the harbour in Funchal to get back in the evening.
- To enjoy an extra beach vacation on Porto Santo after making a tour on Madeira. Next to the airplance, the ferry is a recommended means of transportation to get to Porto Santo from Madeira.
- The Lobo Marinho sails along the beautiful South coast of Madeira, a nice opportunity to have another view upon the island.
- During the crossing one may observe dolphins and whales.
- Some people will make the trip for bird spotting.
- It could be an alternative for a boating trip from Funchal along the coast of Madeira.
Organized mini cruises
The Porto Santo Line offers 1 day mini cruises.
Transfers from the most popular hotels in Canico and Funchal are provided.
You leave in the morning from Funchal to sail aboard of the the Lobo Marinho along the coast of Madeira. The same boat and bus will bring you back in the evening.
The mini cruise + golf includes transfer to the golf coart on Porto Santo.
Note: Excursions on Porto Santo are not provided.
The Porto Santo Line has also special deals for ferry + hotel in which case one stays in the Torre Praia Hotel or Aparthotel Luamar.
For more info on the ferry, time schedules, rates and reservations, see :
More info about Porto Santo
Porto Santo vs Madeira
Porto Santo hotels
Things to do on Porto Santo
Click for our home pages about Porto Santo and Madeira